Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lottery dreaming

So tonight is the drawing for the $600 million Powerball lottery, and last night someone somewhere won the MegaMillions worth around $190 million.  I didn't win the latter and probably won't win the former.  What would I do if I won a large lottery?

For one, I'd beg Karen to marry me and set up the perfect wedding that she's always dreamt of. Well, at least one not involving her and Dwayne Johnson, Simon Pegg or Bob from Great Big Sea, anyway. The next thing I'd do after those plans were set would be to get the best possible health insurance for us and prepay the premiums for forty years.  I don't want her to have to worry about her health ever again.

Of course, I would probably do that latter after hiring the best financial planner money could buy. I'd have him or her bonded just to make sure there was no funny business going on.  We'd probably incorporate, because that's what everyone does.  We'd pay off our existing debts and be debt free. Then we'd get to the fun stuff.

Karen and I would find two houses -- one in which we'd live and the other that we'd keep as a getaway location.  I have a feeling I know where that would be -- so does Karen -- but we wouldn't disclose it but to a few people.  Our main house would be Karen's to decorate and furnish as she saw fit with one exception -- I will, and this is non-negotiable, have a library of whatever size I want with however many books I want in it.  It won't be a main cave by any means.  But I will have my library where I can write and read.  Something along these lines:


Then we'd get Karen the car of her dreams.  I'd probably need a new one myself.

We'd invest heavily and wisely.  I'm not going to go on spending sprees nor would I be the family bank.  We'd set up education funds for those children that needed it and take care of other family members as we saw fit.

I'd certainly give to charity.  I have some places near and dear to my heart that I'd endow.  I would give to my grade school for sure.  I'd give to my undergraduate and graduate schools.  I'd also give to veterans' groups.  Karen has a few groups to which I know she'd donate as well.

I'd buy some rifles and a handgun or two.  Michael Bloomberg can bite me.  I'd put together the studio of Karen's dreams so if she ever got the hankering to start painting again, she could do so.

I'd buy the best and most advanced computer I could and have someone on retainer to fix it when it broke down.  Heaven knows I couldn't fix it.

Then I'd build a workshop on our property somewhere and tinker with things without any fear that they wouldn't work or would injure someone.  I'd have a woodworking shop in there, too.

But beyond those things -- and Karen's input, of course -- there isn't really anything extravagant we'd do with the money.  Sure, we'd take some trips here and there.  But I'm not buying a helicopter, I'm not owning a mansion with an eight-car garage and fifty-two rooms.  I won't be buying real estate in prime locations, say a penthouse in New York City.  We're not extravagant people and we don't like extravagant things.

Well, except for that library.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

2 comments:

  1. I would LOVE a library like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, that belongs to George Lucas, so there's little chance of me having that library.

    ReplyDelete