Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Fashion????

Fashion or style has always eluded me.  I have no concept of what is really good looking and what is only marginally bad looking.  It shows in the way I dress, because I typically dress for comfort.  Being as big as I am has also limited, to some extent, what's available to me.  Elsewhere I've discussed my difficulty in finding clothes to fit me; if I had an unlimited budget I might be able to shop better, but I don't so I wear what I can find.

I state that at the outset to make it clear, unreservedly, that I am in no position to be a fashion critic. Even so, I can have my opinions.  And last night, there was something called the Met Costume Institute Gala in New York City where famous people dressed up.  I'm not quite clear on the concept and I don't really care to be enlightened, but that doesn't really matter.  What matters is what the people wore.

Let's start off with an oldie but a baddie:  Gwenyth Paltrow:


WTF????

But that's comparatively tame compared to some of the other entries:

Nicole Ritchie:


What did she see that scared her so that her hair turned white?

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West:


I understand the woman's pregnant, but did she have to try to look like a couch by taking the leftover fabric as a dress?  As for Kanye West...he always either looks drugged out (as he does here) or angry.

January Jones:


An otherwise attractive woman, didn't she realize the new Star Trek movie was already cast?

Miley Cyrus:


Great dress, but did she see the same thing Nicole Ritchie saw?

Madonna:


Proving that many dominatrices come from parochial schools.

Kristen Stewart:


She's mastered the art of looking like a drug addict without doing drugs.

Elizabeth Banks:


Such a beautiful woman who apparently kept her wardrobe from The Hunger Games.

Ginnifer Goodwin:


The dress wasn't horrible but this???  Was her designer a raccoon?

Cameron Diaz:


I don't even know what to call that.  A throw?  A rug?  A throw-rug?

But the winner and still champion of bad dressing claimed to be styling, Sarah Jessica Parker:


If Kardashian took the couch fabric, Parker took the curtains.  For the life of me, I don't know who died and decreed that this woman was a leader in fashion.  I can't recall the last time I saw her look presentable.  I think Sex and the City went to her head.

Again, this is really the pot calling the kettle black.  I don't know that I could have done much better myself.  For one, none of these outfits would have fit on me. But even if they had, I probably would have chosen something equally horrid.  Well, Karen wouldn't have let me out of the house in it, but I wouldn't have had any better idea.

It's really not something about which I have any business commenting about.  But an eyesore is still an eyesore, no matter to whom the eye belongs.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment