Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sealing a driveway

So I came home to take care of my girl.  She had a cancer treatment on Friday to which I drove her.  Then when we got home, I fixed the mower and took care of the front lawn after I grocery shopped.  Yesterday, I took care of the back lawn and did some other honey-do's before we settled down for the Blackhawks-Red Wings tilt.  Today, however, was a date of infamy.

I knew it was coming.  I couldn't avoid it.  Today was the day I had to seal the driveway.  Yesterday, part of my honey-do's included sweeping out and then filling the cracks in the driveway.  It was tedious, no more.  This was a veritable pain in the backside.

It's easy, I read.  No sweat, said another.  I wasn't lulled into a false sense of security.  I remember that two-hour toilet installation that took me four days instead.  Nothing having to do with handyman's jobs is ever as easy for me.

Therefore, I present my Do's and Don'ts for sealing a driveway:

Don't buy a house with a driveway with a contour that more resembles a putting green at Augusta National.

Do buy a house with a nice, level driveway.

Don't buy your equipment and supplies at Menard's.

Do your first driveway seal with someone who's done one before.

Don't listen to the guy on Youtube who says it's easy.

Do have a cold beer or two waiting for you for afterwards.

Don't buy a squeegee that's the size of a rake for a bonsai tree.

Do measure your driveway ahead of time.

Don't trust the guy at Menard's when you give him your measurements.

Don't fret about the forecast.

Do go to the holler for the family reunion instead.

Don't buy anything less than a six foot squeegee; you'll thank me later.

Do get Goo-Gone or Murphy's Oil Soap; you're going to need it.

Don't close off all your access to the garage.

Do use a scrub brush with plastic bristles.

Don't buy your supplies and equipment at Menard's.  (Did I say that already?)

Do be prepared to clean the sidewalks and the front of the garage.

Don't plan on doing anything else for the rest of the day if you follow the Don'ts.

Do buy the next house with a gravel driveway.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment