Thursday, May 9, 2013

Spain in May

May is my favorite month.  It's not yet too warm, and it's not too cool.  Baseball season is revving up, basketball and hockey are in the first stages of the playoffs and the end of school is right around the corner.

When I lived in Spain, May was the best month in which to visit the country.  The country tends to get very hot during the summer -- almost unbearably so at times -- and May is that nice calm before the storm.  Flowers are blooming there, and they paint a picture that is almost stereotypical of Spain. Córdoba, where I visited a few times, has a festival during May that centers on the plazas that homeowners decorate in dazzling fashion.

Here are some examples of the homes:



Sure, it can be overkill sometimes.  There is a competition that encourages it, I do believe.  But it's so festive that one can't help to enjoy the scenery.

Another aspect of Spain in May is that many of the towns string Italian lights in their parks and streets. In Spain, a tradition still endures of the paseo, or the stroll, that usually takes place anywhere from seven to eleven in the evening.  The nights lend a certain ambiance to the stroll.  With the floral decorations and the lights, it's quite pleasant to walk through a Spanish town at dusk.

May is also in between major holidays.  Of course, Semana Santa takes place in April and los sanfermines begin in early July, but there aren't too many major holidays in Spain outside San Isidro, who is the patron saint of Madrid.  People relax during this period and gear up for the bigger holidays coming during the summer.

When I lived in Spain, I was winding down my teaching job in May and saying my goodbyes.  I was torn about returning to the States, which I really didn't want to do, fearing that I would never have the chance to return to my adopted country.  I made my usual side trips outside the capital, visiting Valencia and Barcelona among other towns.  But the atmosphere in Spain during May was absolutely the most pleasant I experienced my entire time there.  I subsequently returned in May of 1999 and had a wonderful time in country.

If anyone is thinking of visiting Spain, the best time of year to do so is May.  Tourists usually show up later in the season.  The weather's beautiful.  There aren't too many high-profile festivals that make movement around the country or in particular towns difficult.  It's just a wonderful time to visit Spain.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment