Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Facebook...ugh

Pigs are flying in a frozen hell.

I've joined Facebook.

I didn't do this voluntarily.  I maintained my integrity at least to that degree.  I bowed to necessity and put up a Facebook page even though there's nothing remotely interesting about me.  It's a marketing tool, nothing more, nothing less.  I hate that I had to do it but something had to be done. Before anyone thinks that I did this, I give all the credit to Karen, who has a Ph.D in Facebooking.  I sat back and stayed largely out of the way.

I'm not happy about it.  The thing frustrates me to no end, which I'll address in a minute.  But it serves a purpose, I suppose, even if I don't see any tangible results yet.

When I tinkered on Karen's FB, I was thoroughly frustrated because I didn't know what to use and how to use it.  Nothing's changed now that I have one of my own.  While we were setting up the thing, one of the other attorneys in the office commented on one of my Likes, and I went to respond to his Boooooooooooo! with Bite me.  Fortunately, Karen stopped me before I posted it, because my otherwise unprofessional response would have gone out globally, something that would have detracted just a bit from the professionalism for which I am striving (but doesn't the Booooooooooo! do the same thing...?).

While trying to learn how to use this, I decided to put down some places that I've been, so I chose an easy one:  Dyersville, Iowa, where Field of Dreams was filmed, in part.  I dutifully put in Dyersville, Iowa, and the title of the movie, but when I hit enter, it located me in Oklahoma, neither a place I've ever been or anything I typed.  Not to be outdone, I put down Door County, Wisconsin, and after I hit enter it located Door County in the Chicago metropolitan area.   Again, I never typed anything remotely related to Chicago -- nor was I in Chicago as I typed the entry -- but FB decided that Door County needed to be relocated.  FB further decided that entries I was adding were being added in Chicago, somewhere I am and was nowhere near.

I put in that I liked chess, but it took me two days to figure out how to add cribbage and Sudoku.  I tried to add books and movies to my likes, but it said that I had read them or watched them instead. When I scroll down the page, my screen keeps recalculating, just like the infernal GPS does when one doesn't follow its idiotic directions.  I hate to read documents on the computer and avoid it whenever I can.  There's no avoiding it with FB.

For families that are in different parts of the world, FB makes perfect sense.  It allows them to keep in touch economically.  For businesses and media outlets, it makes sense.  Now that I have my own business, in essence, I have to have this.  But I hate it.  I can't figure the thing out and I don't have anything nearly interesting to say.  I don't know when I'm saying something privately instead of publicly, or worse vice versa, and I can't put up pictures of anything because that takes a Rube Goldbergian set up between my camera, my computer, Photobucket and FB, and I'm just not going to spend the time to do it.  Yeah, yeah, if I had a smartphone it would be sooooooooooo much easier.  But that would require me to attend MIT for three years, minimum, so I could figure out how to use the smartphone...it's a vicious cycle.

The Native Americans did it best:  Smoke signals.  Would that I could use those instead.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment