Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Sports "We" and Loyalties

(WARNING:  This post contains moderate sports crappola material, which may be harmful to certain readers, like Karen).

Today, Mike Greenberg was discussing with Mike Golic on Mike & Mike on ESPN the notion that sports fans assume the sports we -- akin to the regal we, just more pedestrian -- when referring to their country's teams or other teams they follow.  Greenie contends that rooting for a team for a significant amount of time or having attended the particular school gives the fan the right to refer to the team and himself, by extension, collectively as we.  Golic, on the other hand, says that only professional and former professional athletes have earned that right.  I'm more inclined to agree with Greenie on this one.

First of all, the matter that generated the discussion was the unbelievable come-from-behind victory of the American entry in the America's Cup.  Apparently, the American boat was down seven races and came back to win it.  Greenie's point, however, is well taken:  Although the boat is owned by an American, there was only one other American on board.  The rest of the crew was Aussie, Kiwi, a Dutchman and a Brit (the closest they've ever come to winning the thing since the first race, I'm thinking).  Is it legitimate to revel in what we won, asks Greenie.

That one's easy for me. Because the owner is richer than Roosevelt, I can't possibly take any satisfaction in the win.  Moreover, when over ninety percent of the team isn't even American, we didn't win it.  A conglomerate did.   But in the Olympics, when the U.S. wins, I claim we won, and as an American whose tax dollars support those athletes indirectly, I am justified.

But when I listen to sports radio, every armchair quarterback refers to his team with the sports we.  It's a little funny, but only when one hears the tone of their voices.  Even so, I understand how they feel and can't disagree with them.  There are, however, some rules:

To qualify for license to use the sports we, a fan must:

1.  Live in the city/town where the team is based and/or have supported the team for more than ten years.  The second part of the rule applies to those who have moved from the team's location.  For example, I live more than three hundred miles away from the Chicago Blackhawks, but I have supported them since the late '60's.

2.  Attend or graduate from the school being supported.  This is a little tricky.  Say someone attends for two years and transfers to a lesser school.  Can that person claim allegiance to the school from which he transferred?  Possibly.  Certainly if the person has supported the team for more than ten years.  See, Rule 1, supra.  But what about the new school?  Can a person claim allegiances to both schools?  What about graduate or professional schools?  I suppose if the person graduates he can, but it's a slippery slope.

Now, what about adopting allegiances?  For example, now that I've moved to another area, can I root for the teams based here?  I would say no, with one exception.  Since I am a diehard Cubs' fan, I can root for an American League team that competes with the other team in Chicago, since I am basically the enemy of this new area's team's enemy.  But I cannot eschew the Cubs for a new team.

Say, though, that a person moves to an area that has a team in a sport that wasn't represented in his former area.  For example, let's say that someone from Nashville, which doesn't have an MLB or NBA team, moves to Chicago.  Can he root for the Cubs (most certainly not that other team) or the Bulls?  Sure.

What about people from states that don't have pro franchises?  They're effectively free agents.  People in Nebraska, Iowa, Alabama, Montana and the rest of them are free to pick and choose.

But switching loyalties is just wrong somehow.  Just because the Cubs are mired in a 105-year slump doesn't mean that I can jump ship.  In for a penny, in for a pound.  Or, to paraphrase Sir Walter Scott, I may not change my sports allegiance like one changes his coat with the weather.  Once upon a time the Bulls stunk, and then Portland drafted Sam Bowie.  The Blackhawks couldn't get over the hump until Dollar Bill died.

I just hope the Cubs do it relatively soon.  I'm not getting any younger.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

1 comment:

  1. Wasn't painful at all, when I saw what it was about (thank you for the heads up) I skipped it :D

    ReplyDelete