Monday, September 23, 2013

Songs I Know

I may have misled people by saying that I can't remember song lyrics.  Really, I struggle with them.  I can't tell you the words to Satisfaction despite the fact that I've heard it a thousand times.  In fact, awhile ago I listened closely to it and was amazed to hear what Mick Jagger was really singing about.

But there are a few songs whose lyrics I know.  Having said that, if I don't hear the song for awhile, I'm prone to substituting words that I think are part of the song or that I know rhyme with what I just sang.  Call it freestyle, call it poetic license.  I still maintain that I cannot remember the lyrics to most popular songs. Songs like Old McDonald don't count; anything that was used to brainwash me as a child doesn't count (although I do think Conjunction Junction is cool...).

Here then is the list of songs whose lyrics I can remember correctly more times than not.

Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue -- if for no other reason to spite Peter Jennings.

Fire and Rain -- I don't know why, exactly.  But now I'd like to know the backstory.

España camisa blance de mi esperanza -- In my mind, the unofficial national anthem of Spain.

Fly Away -- The lyrics were my mission statement at one time.

Black Water -- During eighth grade, this song became our song in the locker room for some reason.

Hijo de la luna -- The tempo and the lyrics made this a challenge I couldn't decline.

It's a Miracle -- This is what happens when a Barry Manilow album is the first album one ever buys.

We've Only Just Begun -- It was our eighth grade graduation theme.

Forever and Ever -- I plan to sing it to Karen.

Mine All Mine -- I was going through a rough patch at the time, so I played it incessantly.

Scarborough Fair -- It was one of the few songs I could play on the recorder.

Come Sail Away -- One of the few positive vestigial reminders of high school.

Let Me Serenade You -- Another song I'll sing for Karen someday.

Longer -- Ditto.

There might be a few more, but I doubt it.  As it was, I had to review the songs on my Ipod to figure out what songs I thought I could remember.  Given that I have over 4,200 songs and I could only come up with fourteen should be an indication of just how bad I am at song lyrics.

I'd have included the jokes I know but there are only three, two of them are well-known lawyer jokes and I'm not interested in wasting your time or mine.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

1 comment:

  1. I see a couple songs someone listed they would sing to me. The question now is...when?

    ReplyDelete