Monday, September 16, 2013

Family Reunions

This weekend I will attend another family reunion, this time Karen's father's side of the family.  I've been to her mother's side's reunions, and for someone from north of the Mason-Dixon line, it was truly a culturally eye-opening experience, but in the best of ways.  Now I can't wait to attend the reunion in the holler each year, no matter how hot and buggy it gets.  Fortunately, I came into the picture after the FDA-disapproved foodstuffs were no longer served at that reunion.

This reunion will be north of the Mason-Dixon line.  I don't know what exactly to expect, despite what Karen's told me.  I know there might be chilly reception from a pair down there, because they follow the liberal mantra Do as we say and not as we do, having unfriended their own relative for Karen's differing political views.  Being the contrarian who's fiercely defensive of my girl, I couldn't leave well enough alone and jumped into the fray, no doubt worsening things.  Well, it wasn't entirely my fault, since this pair apparently needs remedial English courses to understand clearly what I said before taking umbrage...er, offense.

But I'm looking forward to meeting cousins, aunts and uncles who are near and dear to Karen.  More importantly, they've been supportive of her and all that she's endured over the last few years.  They're not judgmental (much, anyway) and they don't have some outmoded approaches to life that keep them from living it to the fullest.

Had we been attending one of my family reunions, assuming there were such a thing, it would look something like this:

 
I'm not exaggerating...too much.

So I'll enjoy meeting relatives of whom I've only heard Karen speak or whom I've met on brief occasions.  Sure, we have to drive down and then back because Sunday we have another first -- my first MLB game for Karen's team.  But I'm looking forward to meeting these folks and letting them get their measure of me.

Unless, of course, the intransigent duo tries to browbeat either of us about how horrible we are to share opinions that differ with theirs, in which case the reunion may resemble this:


Let the good times roll.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

1 comment:

  1. I think, Left Brain Dear, that you have come to learn what family is supposed to be like. Something you have not seen before. The more you learn of them, the more you will know. I'm so glad you are seeing this.

    ReplyDelete