Thursday, September 12, 2013

Rip Van Winkle-isms

I'll be the first to admit that I'm getting older.  Even so, I think I have most of my mental faculties intact, albeit with some slippage that's only normal.  I'll never have a photographic memory, nor will I do exercises with the intent to boost my memory.   I play chess, Sudoku, read challenging books and live with Karen, so my mind is kept sharp daily.

Even so, I've noticed some troubling things that have occurred whose changes I missed.  By that I mean, all of a sudden, things are different or are commonplace and I missed when the changes happened.  Usually, I'm observant about these things, but these things I just flat out missed.  Perhaps I don't have as firm a grip as I thought I did.

For example:

When did politicians start saying I'm X and I approved this message?  Was there a test case where someone was sued because of the failure to say this?  I don't remember Reagan, Carter, Ford, Clinton or the Bushes (that just sounds weird) ever saying that.  Is this some ploy or is it the result of a legal challenge that carries with it serious consequences?  Whatever it is, I missed it.

On a similar note, when did people start saying I'm sorry for your loss when offering condolences to a person who lost a loved one?  About the only social thing our family ever did with any regularity when I was young was attend funerals of people whom I'd never met, and I don't recall anyone saying this.  I do remember hearing Please accept my/our condolences or similar niceties, but this generic, all-encompassing line jars my sensibilities.  Someone could say that to me if my Cubs lost a game, if I lost my keys or if I lost my marbles from hearing that line one too many times.  I suppose it's a succinct way of addressing the situation, but it carries all the emotional wallop of scraping gum off the bottom of one's shoe.

This next one's weird:  Cement mixers.  When I worked summers for my village, we put in sewers, streets, sidewalks and other things for the Public Works department.  I've been at the receiving end of a cement mixer (not like that...) and this is what I remember them to look like:


In other words, the high end went off the back.  Now, they look more like this:


When did this happen?  What inspired the change?  Scud missile launchers?  Is there some benefit to having the dispensing end of the barrel over the cab?  Is it a not so subtle message to the driver to place his load well?  I don't get it.

The next change has been gradual and I have been watching it.  I welcome it.  What I don't understand is why it took so long.  Commercial advertisements, at least on television, are featuring more and more biracial couples without making big deals about it.  The notorious Cheerios commercial that is infamous only for the reaction it garnered is the most notable one, but there are plenty of other commercials involving biracial couples not only with blacks and whites, but Asians and blacks, Latinos and whites, Latinos and blacks -- in short, any combination that might exist in real life.  I applaud the decision but wonder what took so long.

On another taboo subject, all of a sudden appeared is the use of profanity on network television.  Since George Carlin's routine Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television in 1972, artists have been pushing the boundaries.  But recently, words that heretofore would never be uttered on air are appearing all over network television.  I'm no prude, and I don't care whether they're said, but I wonder when laxity came to broadcasting standards.

When did lane-changing in intersections become legal?  I was taught to never change lanes in an intersection, but I see it happening all the time now.

Recently, Pope Francis came out and said that priestly celibacy is grounded in tradition and not Church dogma.  When did this change?  From what I remember, the Church was divinely inspired to make the change which, from all indications, in the fourth century there were two councils at which the requirement of clerical celibacy was an apostolic practice that had to be followed by ministers of the Church.  The Second Lateran council of 1139 laid down the rule forbidding priestly marriage.  Now it's not doctrinal or dogmatic?  What next?  Women priests?  Contraception?  Reading the Bible?  And the Church wonders why it has an image problem...

...When did Al Gore become a scientist?

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles







1 comment:

  1. Al Gore is not only a scientist, but a wicked good computer something-or-the-other. I mean...he invented the internet, didn't he?

    ReplyDelete