Saturday, September 28, 2013

Popular Shows I've Never Watched

This weekend Breaking Bad shows its finale.  From what I hear, it's an excellent show.  It has fans drooling in anticipation of certain plot twists that will resolve the show's biggest questions.  I'm happy for them. Unfortunately, I have no idea of what they speak.

Breaking Bad is simply the latest popular show that I've never watched.  Karen chides me as being a huge fan of television.  To a certain extent, she's correct.  But on another level, she's wrong.  I don't watch everything that everyone else watches either because the topic of the show bores me or because I don't find it entertaining.  Over the years, I've watched some series that have mesmerized me:  Oz, Dexter, Sex and the City, Cheers, M*A*S*H and All in the Family come to mind.  I'm sure there are others.  But the list of shows that I haven't watched may surprise some people.

ER -- I just don't get into shows with a medical theme.  The last one I ever watched was St. Elsewhere, and that was because of its irreverence.

Any Law & Order franchise -- For me, it began and ended with Hill Street Blues.  Well, that and Veronica Hamel.

Grey's Anatomy --  See ER, supra.  Besides, it's nothing more than a soap opera with doctors.  St. Elsewhere was the only doctor show I ever watched.

Any SUV franchisee -- See Law & Order, supra.

How I Met Your Mother -- I find this show insipidly stupid and a waste of Josh Segal's and Neil Patrick Harris's talents.

Mad Men -- I think I may have watched one episode of it out of peer pressure and found it boring.  I may be right and it's another soap opera dressed up in advertising, but I can't really say.  For all I know it's a tour de force, but I don't know that.

The Wire -- From what I hear, this was an excellent series.  Of all the shows on this list, this is one I wished I'd watched and one that I may go to Netflix when I have an open weekend when Karen's away.

Lost -- I didn't see how a series about people lost on an island could last a season, much less seven.  When I was cajoled into watching an episode, I saw that I was right.  Then when I heard about the finale, I was all the more thankful I hadn't wasted my time.

Beverly Hills 90210 --  I just wasn't cool enough.

Weeds -- The first season was terrific.  After that, it just got weird.

Friends -- Same as Weeds, this show was great the first year.  Then it jumped the shark in the second season.

The X Files -- Put simply enough, I'm not into sci-fi.

Ally McBeal, The Practice, Boston Legal -- As a practicing attorney, I can't stand to watch legal-themed shows.  I may do a separate blog post on that someday.  But these shows were simply ludicrous in their own ways and paled by comparison to LA Law, even if the latter tried to sell the preposterous premise that Laurie Partridge was an attorney.

Arrested Development -- Karen swears by this show.  I just never found time for it.  I may actually sit down and watch it.

The Simpsons/The Family Guy/South Park -- I don't do animated shows.  Period.

(c) 2013  The Truxton Spangler Chronicles




No comments:

Post a Comment