Thursday, November 21, 2013

Happy Birthday, Sweetheart

Today is Karen's birthday.  She's lamenting the onset of years, but she doesn't seem a day older to me, much less a year.  She's the love of my life; why would she?

My life changed for the better the day I met my love.  That first phone call, the first time I heard her voice, melted my soul.  I had never hung the receiver up shaking before.   Mind you, I think she's the most beautiful of all women, but on the phone, physical considerations aren't in play.  It was her voice, the essential goodness of her person, that had me smitten.

Karen is the best person I'll ever know.  She has kindness and thoughtfulness that few people ever know. She revels in others' happiness unlike any person I've ever known.  She's not jealous of other people's successes or happiness and seeks only to put smiles on other peoples' faces.

She's not perfect.  She can have a redheaded fit when I don't clean the way she likes, or I don't hear what she says or I do something incredibly stupid.  She gets tired.  Her physical ailments upset her.  I'm under no illusions that I have Mother Teresa trapped in a goddess's body.  But she's still the best person I know.

She does more for me than any person has ever done for me in my life, my Mother included.  She loves me unconditionally even when she thinks I'm a dumbhead.  She cooks me my favorite meals and then makes sure I don't eat too much so I'm healthy.  She plans fun things for us to do and then enjoys them to the hilt. She sees things in stores she thinks I'll like and buys them for me rather than buying herself things.  For example, I posted something to her uncle about a movie that's coming out and the book on which it was based, and without being asked, she bought me the book because I wanted it.  And this despite the fact she says I have too many books.

I'd like to think she makes me a better person for having been with her, but the jury's still out on that one. She's supportive of me and defensive when anyone slights me.  She takes care of me as if I were her own child despite the fact that I'm bigger than she is.  She does the laundry and makes sure I have clean clothes to wear.  She fusses over the clothes I wear, making me take off those that she thinks don't go together or are slightly wrinkled, no matter how much I bridle.

Traveling with her is a delight.  We have so much fun together on our trips and discover new and interesting things together.  She's opened new worlds to me with her natural curiosity.

I love to her laugh. The other day she was watching one of her favorite movies and she was laughing out loud and having such a good time.  It made my heart smile.  To see Karen happy is to watch the sun rise.

She is the sweetest, nicest, kindest, most thoughtful person God ever put on this earth.  I may not deserve her -- nay, I know I don't -- but I'm so thankful she's in my life.  I wish everyone had a person like Karen in his life, for he would then know what true love is.

Happy birthday, sweetheart. Thank you for being in my life and making it wonderful.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles


No comments:

Post a Comment