Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pens

I can't put my finger on exactly when I took an interest in pens, but somewhere earlier in my career I started buying nice pens.  I still use the reliable Bics and other mass produced commercial pens, but when I have to write a nice letter or sign an important document, I try to use one of my nicer pens.

Along the way, I learned some things about finer pens.  I know that one of the brands that brings oohs and ahhs from most people is Waterman.  It's a nice pen, but I don't think it's worth the price.  I may be wrong, but I think one is buying the name more than a quality of a pen with Waterman.

For me, I prefer Cross and Parker pens.  Not just any Cross or Parker pens.  I'm particular when it comes to them.  For Cross pens, the very first one I owned was given to me by our Grandmother for my First Communion.  It's the classic Century model, one too small for my meat cleaver hands.  I keep it out of respect for Grandma, and I've actually bought a couple more since then, but I don't use them that often.

My favorite Cross model is the Century II.  It's fatter and rests more easily in my hand.  Unlike the classic Century model, this doesn't get lost in my fingers.  It weighs just the right amount and doesn't feel clunky, like some of the fatter, thicker models do.

The Parker model I prefer is the Sonnet.  It's similar to the Cross Century II in size and shape, which is why I prefer it, probably.

For both brands, I prefer the classic black or silver versions.  I don't like all the hip new colored pens out there.  My preferred choice in ink color is black, which I know runs against the grain when it comes to signing legal documents, but it's what I prefer.

I even took a liking to fountain pens, thinking it would be a more sophisticated look.  It turns out that it's more messier than anything, and the writing it produces isn't as refined as I'd like.  I prefer an extra fine nib, and even then the writing is splotchy and broad.  I like my cursive to be thin.

Ordinarily, I don't prefer pens to be loud or have too much in the way of design to them.  But Karen got me a Frank Lloyd Wright pen, in fact, this one:


and I cherish it, bringing it out only for special occasions.  I used to have a pen made by Tomtom, but I can't find it.  That's one pen I really miss.

In learning about pens, I was amazed to find that there are pens that cost more than the down payment on some houses.  For example, check out these pens:


The last pen shown only costs $4,000.  The second pen costs $730,000.  Amazing.  First of all, I don't like how either of the three shown looks.  As works of art, they may have some merit.  But as a writing instrument?  Please.  Second, who needs anything that ostentatious with which to write?  It makes no sense.  I've lost plenty of pens in my time and if I lost one costing $730,000, I'd be heartbroken.  I can't find my Tomtom and it only cost about $60.

Whatever the case, I have my little collection of pens.  They really are writing implements.  I don't see them as a collection, or as art.  They're tools.

One day, I hope to sign a book with my FLW pen that Karen bought me.

It would help if I got published first.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment