Saturday, April 6, 2013

Spain and the Arabic World

I'm reading a book that's an examination of the relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia.  It traces the modern history of Saudi Arabia and the growing closeness between it and the States based on its oil reserves which, I'm quite sure, is about to transition into scrutiny of the kingdom's role in the 9/11 attacks.  What can I say?  If you only had three television channels, you might read it also.

Even if I had more channels, I'd probably pick up this book because the Arabic world intrigues me.  I can state with some certainty that my interest stems from having seen up-close the Arabic culture left behind when Fernán e Isabel kicked out the Moors in 1492.  Just look at the monuments to the Arabic culture that remain standing to this day:

La Alhambra and el Generalife in Granada, Spain:




La Mezquita, Córdoba, Spain


La Giralda, Sevilla, Spain


There are more, many more, but that gives one an idea.  The language itself has residuals from Arabic as well.

But the romance that is Arabic life, when stripped of all its bellicose languge, jihadi elements and sharia law, fascinates me.  The music, the deserts, the language, the food, the calls to prayer, the clothing -- for whatever reason, they call me.  I'm not about to become a Muslim nor do I want to have four wives, but I would love to follow just a portion of the travels that Ibn Battuta and explore the Arab world using his blueprint.  Of course, this would be impossible, given that I'm a kafir and would almost certainly be kidnapped, killed or both.  Yet in a perfect world I would be able to move around and learn about the cultures that comprise the Arabic world.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment