Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Anniversaries

Anniversaries are yearly remembrances of events that have significant meaning to the people celebrating them.  They can be for weddings, or sports championships, or victories in war or whatever else people choose to remember with a special feeling.

Sometimes the commemorations are joyful, other times they are somber.  They can be public or they can be private.  What matters not is that they follow a certain script but that for the people to whom significance arises, they are meaningful and memorable.

I have a thing for dates.  I'm not in the Ed Begley, Jr., or Marilu Henner class of memorization by any means.  Karen would even tell you that I have a habit of forgetting things that she tells me (she's only right sometimes; I have a slight hearing disability that keeps me from hearing some of what she says, especially when she's in another part of the house walking into another room while I'm trapped in a closet elsewhere...but I digress...).

Ostentatious celebrations are not my style, at least if I'm the person who's to be feted.  Nor do I like to put someone in the position of being the center of attention if that person isn't comfortable with it.
I love to celebrate Karen whenever I can, but so far I've only be able to do so privately.

Today is a very meaningful anniversary for us.  A few years ago today something happened that changed our lives for ever, and for the better.  I know it did for me.  It was such a life-changing event that only one other occurrence is on a par with it.  My life, fortunately, has never been the same since then.

Unfortunately, we're struggling financially.  The economy, contrary to the POTUS and his minions, is not improving.  Karen and I have met with reverses that are both unfair and unexpected.  What's more, no matter how hard we try to get our financial house in order, we stay behind an ever-growing eight ball.  This puts additional stress on both of us, and Karen cannot afford the stress.

When I tell people Karen is the love of my life, it's not mere words.  Besides being the most beautiful and kindest person I'll ever know, she's one of the savviest, sharpest, most prepared people I've ever been around.  Sure, she can be emotional at times, and she needs to rein in this tendency to worry about everything.  She can borrow trouble like it's nobody's business.

But if I have to go through this troubled time, there is no one with whom I'd rather do it.  Because for all her beauty, intelligence, kindness and preparedness, she's the most loyal and resilient people I'll ever know.  I would gladly lay down my life for her, and I know she'd do the same for me.  Love isn't tested by how well we treat each other in the best of times, but how well we look after each other in the worst.  I am the best-loved person on the planet.  We'll get through this and we'll get through this together.

A couple of years ago today, we shared the most beautiful of human experiences.  Our love was declared and bonded for all eternity.  Today, that anniversary is keeping a smile in my heart as my face struggles to keep one with my mouth.  I am the most fortunate man alive because Karen loves me.

Happy Anniversary, sweetheart.  Thank you the most wonderful years of my life.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment