Monday, January 14, 2013

Karen

I post here about silly and serious things.  I mix it up because I don't want to bore myself.  Besides, there are plenty of things I find interesting and feel the urge, if not the need, to comment on, dangling preposition be darned. 

There is one thing about which my passion knows no bounds, and that is the love of my life, Karen.  She is my best friend, my lover, the darling of my heart.  She loves me as no one has ever loved me.  She has taught me things no one could ever teach me, shown me new things and opened vistas to me that were kept from me.  We have laughed together, we've cried together.  We've shouted at each other and loved each other even more passionately.  I have never known the support from another person that I've known from my girl.

Karen is sick.  She's fighting illnesses that doctors are having trouble to pin down.  As a result Karen, who is wicked smart and more medically informed than even some of her doctors, has researched her symptoms and come away scared from what she's read.  She hurts so badly at night that she wakes up crying and then goes to the computer to try to diagnose what ails her.  What she reads alternately scares and comforts her.

In this scheme, I'm relatively unimportant.  That statement, in a vacuum, will anger my girl.  I mean by that, however, that my statement about feeling helpless is nothing more than a statement of fact, not a complaint.  I want to help her, remove her pain, comfort her and ease her burden.  At times, too few for my taste, I'm able to do something for her, but more often than not, her pain continues.

She bridles when I tell her she's strong.  She scoffs at the notion that she handles pain that other people can't.  But she does, and she does it with grace and a smile.

I pray for her all the time.  I try to do things that will make her life easier.  I want to live a long time with her, since we met relatively late.

Karen means the world to me.  She is my family, past, present and future.  No woman -- no person -- has ever meant as much to me.  I love her with all my heart.  I've loved her since before I was born and I will love her beyond the end of time.  I ask God to heal her and to guide the doctors who are treating her to find her ailment and relieve her of them.

I love you sweetheart.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

1 comment:

  1. I love you too.

    You just melted my heart.

    Sometimes when you say you wish you could, "take my pain," it breaks my heart. I'd not allow it if you could, and to watch you hurt always feels as if someone is sitting on my chest and I can't breathe with want of helping you. I understand how you feel.

    Knowing I have a man who runs to me, not from me...what a thing that is Tony.

    You know you are my rock, my solace, my comforter, my peace. You also know nothing can take away my pain more than your nearness can.

    Always

    ReplyDelete