Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dreams

I don't remember my dreams.  Sure, I have them, but I rarely, if ever, remember much about them.  Karen remembers hers and, may I just say, they are vivid and beyond weird sometime.  I always get a kick out of hearing what she dreamt.  Sadly, for her, I can' return the favor.

That being said, I do have moments of reverie that I remember all too well.  Perhaps they qualify as daydreams which, I suppose, make them dreams, but when I say I don't remember my dreams, I mean to say that I don't remember those dreams that I have when I sleep.

These dreams or reveries that I have recur.  I can have a moment of silence and these thoughts will come back to me.  I have no control over it, much like dreams during sleep.  But unlike the dreams that I have during sleep, I remember these.

One of the most enduring dreams or reveries that I have involves me rolling over every single inch of land or ice on earth.  I imagine rolling -- not walking or running, but rolling -- through every dale and valley, up every hill and mountain, and over every desert and plain, on each continent.  I'm not one who can interpret dreams with any accuracy, but I suppose the easiest interpretation is that my love of travel and learning about other cultures explains this reverie.  When I think about this, I try to figure out how long it would take me to do this, and whether I'd be able to enjoy or even look at the lands through which I was rolling.  The odd thing about this particular dream is that whenever I'm rolling through the world, it's always daytime and it's always sunny out.  That, of course, proves the delusion.

One of the other bits of reverie involves the end of time.  Admittedly, I've never read the entirety of Revelations, and Karen's told me much of the predictions in it.  I've read some parts on my own, and I've heard Nostradamus' take on things, but I'm otherwise uninformed.

For whatever reason, I've pondered whether time will end when every possible song combination or every possible chess variation is played.  From what little I understand about music, the possible combinations of melodies are endless.  The only being, then, that could possibly figure out all of them is God.  The theory, then, is that God would decide when time is to end by allowing man to finally grasp every possible variation.  It's hard for us to conceive, with our humanity, but God alone could do it.  When that were to happen, time would end.

Likewise, chess involves endless permutations.  The sixty-four square board would appear to be limited, but the pieces all have different ways of moving.  Add to that the various strategies, between openings, middle game and endgames, and the different games are endless.  The only being, again, that could determine all of that is God.  And when He's ready for time to end, He'll allow each variation to be played by man.

I don't know why I think these things.  I don't think that they're determinative of anything.  But I can't hold a candle to Karen's dreams.  Mine, not surprisingly, are more abstruse.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment