Thursday, January 17, 2013

Swag

I love free stuff.  I'll never get swag like they get in Hollywood, but I enjoy the rewards programs that many retailers have started.  I rack up points and monitor them to make sure I get whatever rewards they offer.  I also look for loopholes to see if I can benefit from the programs. 

When we vacationed in Florida, I even signed up for rewards programs down there.  I also have reward programs for businesses that are principally in Kentucky.  Sometimes, as with these programs, I signed up for them simply to get the initial ten percent off. 

The problem with all these rewards programs is that they generate rewards programs cards.  It's gotten so obnoxius that now I have to carry a second wallet in which to keep all the rewards programs cards.  To further complicate things, some companies' logos or colors are very similar to others' logos or colors.  When I go into one store, it takes me longer to find its card because I'm constantly confusing others' cards with the one for which I'm looking.  I look like a moron with all my cards out on the counter furiously searching for the one I need.

Add to that the frustration that some companies inject into the equation.  Notably, Outback Steakhouse makes its rewards program well nigh impossible to register for.  I've had less trouble getting into federal court than I did trying to sign up for Outback's rewards program. 

There are added bonuses to belonging to rewards programs, such as birthday perks.  Other programs have incentive programs that are pretty easy, like Speedway's.  There, you only have to use their card ten times within a month to earn seven thousand bonus points.  Easy, peazy. 

It's not just the big spenders and highrollers that get perks.  But it's probably a litttle easier for them such that they don't need to carry a second wallet.  Either that or they just hire someone to carry all the rewards programs cards for them.

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment