Friday, October 12, 2012

Vacation blog ends

Tomorrow we awaken at the buttcrack of dawn to drive to Pensacola to return home from our first vacation.   Being a little distracted with all the preparations for our departure, I'm not inclined to resume my travelogue.  Face it:  I have two flights to make tomorrow, not to mention the drives to and from the airports, one of which is in a dicey part of town.

That being said, there are some casual observations about the trip that I can offload here.

First, I've never seen more white men wearing college garb while not attending a sporting event in my life.  It may come off as racist, but I'm used to seeing blacks do it.  But white men?  Egads...every restaurant, store, beachfront, airport, mall -- you name it, men well into their sixties donned their favorite college team's colors and logos.  I could understand it if it were at a sporting event.  But this goes beyond mere support of a team.  This is worn as if it were haute couteur. 

Next, this is ponytail heaven down here.  I've never seen so many ponytails on women in my life.  I'm a big fan of the ponytail.  But distressingly, I've never seen so many ponytails on men, either.  Barbers would go broke down here.

Third, sand has an invidious way of getting into whatever hole, crevice, container, vessel, glass, space or plane that will hold it.  It's like air...only it's version of bad smells is abrasions.

Salt water gets better after you've had to taste it day after day, but the first time you really get a mouthful is not fun by any measure.  Even so, salt water is somehow restorative if you have aches and pains.

Watching sports with the sound off is much easier than it looks if you know the sport.

Insane drivers are insane no matter where you go.  The only difference is in the usage of the horn and the length of that usage.  Rudeness is not regional.  Only the employment of rudeness is.

Sweet tea should be forbidden just like aquavit.  That's just nasty.

A sunrise is beautiful no matter what, but having it reflect over water enhances the experience.  Seeing such a sunrise with one's beloved is one of the purest joys in life.

Heat is tolerable, humidity isn't.

The people who ride jet skis typically are the same people who drive over the speed limit on the highways while the bob and weave through the rest of traffic.  They also don't wear helmets when they're doing this on their crotchrockets, either.

I'd have thought I'd seen more chew used down here.  Oddly, I haven't.

Finally, I have to find that book The Rise and Decline of the Redneck Riviera, recommended by my girl's cousin.  From what I've witnessed, there's been no decline whatsoever.

(c) 2012 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment