Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving Tidbits

I didn't have much time to post over the last few days, but I did write down some things that I was thinking about along the way:

-- Cribbage is an undervalued board game.  Or is it a card game?  Either way, I really enjoy it.

--  Why do people refer to others who are good at their jobs as rock stars and not experts?  If I were described as a rock star, all I would think about was having long hair, a dissolute lifestyle involving the destruction of hotel rooms, singing badly and incomprehensibly and generally being no good at anything else.

-- Wall anchors are supposed to stay in the walls, not go through them.  Hello, spackle.

-- I don't like tattoos, I'll never get a tattoo.  But I absolutely enjoy the show Ink Masters.  It's about as raw as reality game shows get.

-- Karen has a cousin named Cheryl who pronounces her name like Shurl.  Until last week, she was the only woman I knew who pronounced her name that way.  Now I found another Shurl.  Or Cheryl.

--  Fitz and Tantrums is a pretty good band.  Their name is pretty good, too.  When I first heard it, I thought it was Fits and Tantrums.

--  Whenever I find a penny on the sidewalk or in the parking lot, it's always tails up.  Karen tells me it's bad luck when pennies are found tails up, that the preferred way to find them for good luck is heads up.  The way I see it, finding any money is lucky.

-- Who decides on rug patterns?

--  Building a fire isn't that hard, with a little practice.

-- Cat Drooling would be a good name for a band.

--  On a related note, last week Bupkes sneezed in my face as I slept.

--  One of the worst things I have to do while driving is look for signs.  Especially when it comes to these little strip malls that put all the businesses on a tower, and each business is listed in the same size font, but not alphabetically.

--  Handshakes were meant to be firm.  Whoever initiated these limp little offerings ought to be forced to gut dead fish.

--  I got to have my turkey stuffing this year...sort of.  We didn't have any poultry seasoning and we couldn't find any.  Even so, it could have been worse.  Two days before the holiday it occurred to me we couldn't find our roasting pan and had to buy another.

--  Karen's car has overhead phone capabilities.  It's all well and good, but I'll be darned it I know how to operate it.

--  Decorating the house for Christmas is fun, but it's limited.  I really like putting oversized ornaments on trees in the yard and lights on the Kentucky tree.

--  Watching Custer and Bupkes play is a hoot.

--  There have been some gruesome injuries in college football this year.  I doubt I would have allowed our son to play the game had we had children.

--  I really wish I could ice skate.  I wonder if they make double blade skates for people like me.

--  This mess in Ferguson, Missouri, has really addled some people's brains.  As one black cop put in when called in to a radio show, there's a difference between wanting justice and wanting revenge.  People are being disingenuous when they say they want justice for Mike Brown.

(c) 2014 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment