Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Thoughts on Food

I've had a lot of contact with food lately -- long, boring story -- and some thoughts have occurred to me about food, the way we approach it and what our tastes are.  There's a great deal of randomness to this, but that's how it has to be:

--  Uncooked eggs are fine. I can bake with 'em, eat 'em raw if I have to.  But cooked?  Blech.

--  Why people insist on putting fruit in things that don't naturally go with fruit boggles my mind.  Why ruin perfectly good beer with fruit flavor, or put fruit chutney on steak?

--  I wonder who the first person was that thought eating eggs would be a good idea.

-- Pizza without pepperoni isn't pizza.  I'm not sure what it is.  The only worse way to make pizza is to put pineapple (there we go with fruit again) and anchovies on it.

-- That being said, grilled peaches or pineapple are wonderful.

-- The person who came up with nesting cans ought to be awarded a medal.

--  It cracks me up when I see a name brand food stocked right next to a store brand of the same flavor.  I don't know why.

--  I never knew there were so many different ways to can tuna.

--  If pickled asparagus counts as a pickle because, as one know-it-all told me, anything that's pickled counts as a pickle, where does that leave pickled bologna and pickled eggs?

--  I repeat:  Chocolate chip ice cream is the most perfect ice cream there is.

--  Skillets without eggs are a great breakfast.  Why people insist on putting eggs on perfectly good foods, like skillets or hamburgers, mystifies me.

--  Besides my aversion to eggs, another reason I could never be a successful chef is that I can't eat scallops due to a food allergy and wouldn't be able to cook them correctly as a result.

--  I wish we could find my iced tea jar now that we're back in the land of decent water.  I miss my iced tea.

--  As with tuna, I'm stunned by the number of different ways baked beans are made.

--  Shoepeg corn.  What a name.

--  I'm encourage by manufacturers who have managed to infuse products like crackers and the like with new flavors like chipotle, vinegar and BBQ.  Variety is a good thing.  But it's like toys:  When we were growing up, where was all this variety?

--  Speaking of BBQ, I prefer rubs to sauces.  It's less messy and tastes just as good.

--  Sunflower seeds are a good snack.

--  My preferred soft drink now is Dr. Pepper.  No, Mr. Pibb is not an acceptable substitute.  And although I grew up a Coca-Cola fan, I have never liked the taste of Pepsi.  The two taste nothing alike.

--  I prefer my meat to be cooked medium well.  Well done just gives the cook license to incinerate it.

--  I've come to appreciate agave sweetner for tea.  I doubt it would do any good for coffee, however.

--  Whatever interest I once had in Mexican food is gone. Tex-Mex is the only way for me now.

--  Speaking of foreign cuisines, I'm not much into Asian food.  I would like to try some Middle Eastern food, though.

--  I've had yucca.  It tastes as its name implies.

-- Eating rice with a spoon is so much easier than trying to eat it with a fork.  Don't even start about chopsticks.

--  I'm all into sharing food, but someone who feels the liberty to sample something off my plate without being invited may easily lose a hand.

--  I prefer grub to haute cuisine.

--  Blueberries make just about anything better, from cereal to bread to ice cream.

(c) 2014 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment