Monday, June 16, 2014

Monday Musings

It was a full weekend, so I'm going to be lazy and mail it in today:

-- How is it possible for the IRS to lose two years' worth of emails?  This is the same outfit that requires meticulous record-keeping from taxpayers, but it can't keep emails?  Have they not heard of thumb drives?

--  The country can breathe a sigh of relief:  San Antonio defeated Lebron James and the Miami Heat.

--  There are plenty of commercials that have the disclaimer that such and such is only available or valid in the forty-eight contiguous states.  Are there commercials that carry the disclaimer that something is available or valid only in Alaska and Hawaii and not in the forty-eight contiguous states?

--  I don't think I could keep track of who's who and what's happening to whom in Game of Thrones even if I had an interactive roster, the author of the books sitting by my side and a copy of the season's script.

--  If I get this straight, we can trade five hardened terrorists for one American soldier who may or may not have deserted, but we can't get one wayward Marine out of Mexico, our neighbor to the south.  I think I know why:  Bergdahl left his weapon at the base, while Tahmooressi crossed the border with three guns. We all know how much the President hates firearms.

--  Chicago may have dodged a bullet when it lost the bidding to host the 2016 Olympic Games. Considering the unrest that Brazil is experiencing in this World Cup, and how unfinished many of the venues were for the start of the tournament, Brazil only has problems in its future.

--  Cankles' unannounced presidential campaign is off to a rocky start.  Perhaps the country is saved.

--  I take offense when historical fiction rewrites history. I take greater offense when shows purporting to explain history distort it for entertainment purposes.

-- As good a ballplayer as Tony Gwynn was, he was an even better person.

--  This week begins the six weeks' long moving season.  As if on cue, the weather's getting hotter and gas prices are soaring.

--  If anyone's truly serious about gun control, the issue of mental health has to be addressed.  All those memes about confiscating or registering knives, or calling the fire department instead of using a fire extinguisher, are true.  In very, very few cases has it been a person who was mentally stable that went on a rampage.

--  I wonder if anyone's actually collected enough coupons to redeem at 1/20th of a cent for a penny.

--  Watching our cat Bupkes grow up has been a revelation.  Watching Custer get jealous over a two pound animal has been hysterical.

--  Along those lines, pinning a diaper on a bulldog is not something I ever foresaw myself doing.

--  I'm so glad I took typing in high school.  I hated it when I took the class, but I'm so thankful now.

--  On second thought, I wish I'd taken more shop courses.  I still think I'm the only kid in the history of the school to take typing, shop and be in NHS.

--  Of all the sites where movies were filmed, the one that hits home the best is Field of Dreams in Dyersville, Iowa.  If one has never been there but has an interest in either the movie or baseball, it's a must trip.

-- Limeade is better than lemonade.

--  Interviewing is such a hit-or-miss thing.  If one interviews with a person that likes him, the qualifications may not matter at all.  Similarly, if one interviews with a person that dislikes him for whatever reason, the qualifications don't matter either.  It's such a crapshoot.

--  These people using their cellphones to videotape crimes -- usually physical altercations -- would do better to call the police than gain fame on Youtube.

(c) 2014 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment