Saturday, March 9, 2013

To-do list

I'm getting my new office together this weekend.  I never thought I'd have my own office, but the economy and circumstances beyond my control have compelled me to take the step.  Today I drove around my new area in search of office equipment.  Being the miserly one that I am when it comes to myself, I seek cheap but high quality equipment that won't cost me too much to move to the new office.  That's not asking too much, is it?

Be that as it may, it caused me to think of other things that I'd like to do that are unconnected to my practice.

I'd love to see Spring Training once before I die.  Hopefully, it's the Spring before the Cubs win their first World Series title since 1908.

I'd have liked to see Machu Picchu, but my bout with pulmonary embolisms probably put an end to that dream.

Seeing the Aurora Borealis, however, is still in the realm of the reachable.  I do believe I'll get to see that with Karen someday.  We'd also like to take a cruise to Alaska, so we may get a two-for on that one.

I'd like to cross the equator.  Not necessarily on a ship, especially with seamen, because I don't the treatment meted out to pollywogs.

I have to visit Normandy.  I don't want to see anything else in France.  Bastogne is in Belgium, and that's about the only other battlefield in Europe I want to see.  I'd like to visit Iwo Jima also, although the sulphuric smells may make me wish I hadn't.

I'd like to get a couple of books published.  The Spanish Year is written and awaits revisions and editing.  The other book, as yet untitled, is more important from this perspective.  Like John Hancock, I intend to make sure my name is prominently displayed on that one.

I'd like to take Karen to Scotland so she can show me her ancestral land.  Since the Scots want free of the English, I can make an exception for this one.  Especially since it would please my girl so.

I might like to compete in a chess tournament once.  Nothing with grandmasters, mind you. 

Learning the guitar would be fun.  I suppose I should learn to read music first, though.

I'd love to attend a clambake.  That would be the perfect end to my first sailing cruise.

Hang-gliding has always intrigued me.  Perhaps I should go the safer route and get up in a glider instead.  No, parachuting holds no interest for me.  Nor does bungee jumping.

The countries I want to visit are Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Portugal and Greece. 

I'd love to learn to speak Portuguese, Italian, Arabic and Irish.

A train trip across the Northwest or across the Canadian Northwest would be very enjoyable, I'm thinking.

Riding in a bobsled has always intrigued me.  Luge holds no such interest for me.

Using a sniper rifle would be amazing. 

Isn't it curious?  I have no desire to meet a celebrity, although it would be entralling to meet George Will.

Arguing a case in front of the Supreme Court would be wild.  I may have to settle for being admitted, though.

One place I definitely want to visit is Arlington Cemetery.  John Basilone's grave, though, has special significance to me.

Finally, I'd love to be able to introduce Karen to our Mother.  I think the two of them would have a blast together.



(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment