Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas, 2013

Here are some quick thoughts for this Christmas season:

First, Andy Williams died recently.  He was a marvelous singer and, from all accounts, a very decent man.  But if radio stations don't stop playing It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, I may come to hate that song which would be a shame, because he's a wonderful singer and it's a nice tune. 

I'm not anti-Semitic in the slightest, but I think there's something wrong with Jews recording Christmas music for sale.  Sure, Barbra Streisand had/has a great voice, but if she doesn't believe in the divinity of Christ, all she's doing with her Christmas albums is making money off someone else's belief. 

I prefer opening Christmas presents on Christmas Day, not Christmas Eve.  Christmas Eve should be for family gatherings and parties.

I'm not a fan of gift cards for any occasion, especially when the giver knows the recipient.  I think it's lazy.  Put some thought into it already.

Christmas music and specials shouldn't begin until after Thanksgiving and advertisements for Christmas sales absolutely shouldn't start until the week of Thanksgiving.  It not only detracts from Thanksgiving it demeans the true meaning of Christmas.

Mistletoe is a quaint tradition.  I kiss Karen without any external inducements because I like to kiss her.

Christmas day is a bit of a letdown after the presents are opened.  The week between Christmas and New Year's Day is really a nullity.

Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck is my favorite Christmas movie.  There are too many songs for Christmas that I like to name a favorite.

One of my favorite Christmas memories was spent in Madrid, Spain.  A Colombian, a Mexican, a Jew from Boston and I shared a Christmas turkey that I made.

If I have the lyrics in front of me, I can sing You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch, and sound like the original recording.

That's all I have time for today.  I wish everyone a Merry Christmas wherever you may find yourself.

(c) 2012 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment