Monday, July 9, 2012

Soccer

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I do love the Spanish national team.  I know I should root for either the United States or Ireland, countries of which I am a citizen, but the truth of the matter is that when it comes to soccer I am, as I was told in another context by Spaniards, españolizado.

The recent triumph of the Spaniards in the Euro Cup was on a par with what the United States used to do to teams in Olympic basketball.  When you consider that the Spaniards didn't give up a goal in the knockout rounds, that's as amazing almost as the Dream Team not calling a single timeout during the '92 Olympics in Barcelona. 

Soccer is, in my humble and some would say highly uninformed opinion, quite flawed.  The games are tedious, the flopping a joke, the lack of technology to get calls right a travesty, the offsides trap a detriment -- in short, it's the perfect sport to either play or watch the highlights of, only.  But in no way does that diminish the Spaniards' accomplishment.

¡Enhorabuena, España!

(c) 2012 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment