Monday, April 10, 2023

Why I Left the Catholic Church

 I was raised Catholic.  I was an altar boy.  I faithfully adhered to Church doctrine as a child, although I became more of a buffet style Catholic as I grew older.  But one day I'd had enough.

My reasons for leaving the Church are many.  My Mother, good Irish Catholic that she was, is probably rolling in her grave.  But the Church lost me as I learned more about its perfidy toward its flock.  The decision, when I reached it, wasn't that hard.  

First, the roll of the Church in Ireland, where it hit the congregation hard to ensure its survival from its British masters, irks me.  The Church should have protected its flock from the Brits, not catered to the Brits to ensure its survival.  The way it sold babies from unwed mothers to wealthy Americans, how it would separate families for any perceived shortcoming, was particularly vile.

Second, pedophilia.  Res ipsa loquitur.

Third, it's amazing to me how wealthy Catholics are able to get annulments so they can remarry in the Church.  Name a Kennedy and you'll probably find an annulment.  Vanessa Williams got an annulment from her first husband so she could marry her third husband in the Church.  Boris Johnson was allowed to remarry in the Church after getting an annulment.  

Fourth, the Church's stance on in vitro fertilization is ridiculous.  According to the Church, in vitro fertilization is immoral.  But here's my quandry:  Thomas Aquinas, the doctor of the Church, declared there was such a thing as a just war.  Man, in pursuit of a just war, can use the genius God gave him to develop artificial means to take life in violation of a Commandment to which there is no exception of which I'm aware.  Meanwhile, man can not use the genius God gave him to bring life into being, which violates no Commandment of which I'm aware.

Fifth, the Church miraculously is divinely inspired to carve out exceptions to the rules.  For example, priestly celibacy was the result of divine inspiration, although priests have been allowed to be married for centuries...until prelates abused the practice.  But married Lutheran ministers who wish to convert and continue as a priest, are granted an exception.  Why?  The concern about the priest having to decide between his flock and his family is still there with the Lutheran minister turned Catholic priest.  

I was just tired of the inconsistencies, tired of the lying, tired of the unfairness.  Surely, this isn't what God ordained.

(c) 2023 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles



No comments:

Post a Comment