Friday, September 19, 2014

Sleeper Movies

Everyone's got a list of movies that they think are the best movies to watch.  Typically, they include classics like The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, Gone With the Wind, Citizen Kane and others. There are many worthy movies that belong on those lists, but they become somewhat impersonal, since everyone and his brother includes them.  I'm not criticizing the movies at all -- although I can't claim to have seen GTWT -- but they make virtually everyone's list.

This isn't a list of the greatest movies every made.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to claim that my list would be superior to anyone else's.  Heck, I haven't even seen ET.  So by no means is this list authoritative on the subject of Best Movies of All Time.

Instead, these are recommendations for movies that are subtle, fun, heartwarming and entertaining. They may have flaws -- all movies do -- but these movies have proven to be very entertaining and meaningful to me in different ways:

Doc Hollywood:  I didn't care for Michael Fox before he developed Parkinson's, and although I feel for him and his family, I'm still not a fan.  But this movie is by far his best effort.  I could watch this movie all day long.  It's sweet, it's quirky and Mr. Fox doesn't ruin it with his retread Alex P. Keaton act.  In fact, due to this movie I've searched for a town similar to Grady -- Miconapy, Florida, if you really are interested -- in which to live, and I can state quite happily that Karen and I know live in a Grady-like town.  This movie is worth checking out even if you don't care for Mr. Fox.

The Guilt Trip:  I loathe Barbra Streisand.  Yes, she can sing beautifully.  But she's about as much of a Leftist as the character she played in The Way We Were, and I just can't stomach her.  That being said, she did a marvelous job in this movie.  This one has her as Seth Rogan's mother on a road trip, and it's hilarious.  It has its poignant moments, but they're not overwhelming or unctuous.  Mr. Rogan, for his part, restrains his goofier tendencies and actually does a great, understated job as the son.  It's a gloriously funny film well worth the time.

She's Out of My League:  The premise is sound, although I'm not sure the outcome is...unless one believes in the Rik Ocasek-Paulina Porizkova happening.  The supporting cast is excellent, the writing top-notch and the story somewhat plausible.  It's an entertaining movie that missed most people simply because the casting made it seem implausible in the extreme.  Again, they must have missed the Ocasek-Porizkova nuptials.

Under the Lighthouse Dancing:  An Aussie movie -- one of the best, in my opinion -- this has an ensemble cast with the notable inclusion of a very young and unknown Naomi Watts.  It's a sad story, but a beautifully woven tale based on a true event.  It's magical, sad, funny and heartwarming. Aussie movies are among my favorite, and this tops the list.  It's well worth seeing.

Volver a empezar:  A Spanish movie that shouldn't be unknown, considering that it won the Best Foreign Oscar for 1982, it tells the story of a Nobel laureate who is going to Oslo from Berkely where he's lived in exile since fleeing Franco's Spain.  He decides to take a detour to see him old stomping grounds in Asturias, specifically Cangas de Onís, which I've visited. There, he runs into his old love, who stayed behind when he fled.  The only annoying part of this movie is the repeated use of Begin the Beguine, which almost becomes an earworm.

Silverado:  One of the modern Westerns that deserves an audience, it's harmless fun.  It has a great cast, doesn't take itself seriously and moves the story along, albeit in predictable fashion.  The director Lawrence Kasdan allegedly did this movie to make up to Kevin Costner for cutting his role in The Big Chill, and although this movie isn't as good as that one, it's still entertaining.

Zulu:  Michael Caine's first movie, this is one of the best war movies of all time.  It depicts the true battle of Roarke's Drift and is just endless action.  There are very few slow moments and the mutual respect between the combatants is moving.  Having Richard Burton narrate doesn't hurt the movie at all.

Rounders:  I can't play poker.  I know the hands but not the ranks.  I don't like to gamble.  I love this movie.  Sure, it's got a heavyweight cast, but it's not about the cast.  The mix of gambling addiction, Russian mobster and law school is an odd one, but it's effective.

Total Recall (the original):  I'm not much into sci-fi movies, but this one was exciting.  Going through the plot was interesting, and the star-studded cast didn't distract.  I haven't seen the remake and won't do it.

True Lies:  It may seem that I like Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, which isn't true, but this one's a hoot.  In fact, the comic relief provided by Tom Arnold is half the reason.  It's a rollercoaster of action scenes, and the plot is pretty thin, but it's just good, unadulterated fun.

Swordfish:  I enjoyed the twists and turns in this.  Another movie that has a ton of celebrities in it, the covert world with its murky allegiances appeals to me.  I'm no fan of Travolta movies generally, although I do like Hugh Jackman.  Even Halle Berry does a good job in this one.  It's worth a watch when nothing else is on.

50/50:  Jason Gordon Levitt is such a fine actor.  Seth Rogen actually contains himself as the utterly believable friend who helps his best friend through cancer surgery.  The movie is subtle, poignant and wonderfully captivating.

Christmas in Connecticut:  Far and away my favorite Christmas movie.  Barbara Stanwyck is wildly alluring, the madcap plot moves along briskly and the setting is absolutely beautiful.  I know they remade this years later but I will never watch it.  There is no improving upon this movie.

Anamorph:  I truly enjoy watching Willem Dafoe.  This is a cop movie about anamorphs.  If those aren't familiar, look 'em up, then try to figure out how they're integrated into a cop movie.  I found this movie fascinating.

There are more out there, but I can't remember them all right now.  I'll add to the list as I come upon new ones.

(c) 2014 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment