Friday, January 3, 2014

New Year's Musings

I'm busy doing a lot of other stuff, so this will serve as my blogpost today:  Thoughts and musings I've had over the past two weeks:

New Year's Eve is amateur hour.  I've never cared for going out on that night.  The only time I ever celebrated out on NYE was when I went with the woman I was dating -- whom I wish I'd never met, much less dated -- to a mutual friend's house.  The mutual friend would later try to sabotage me for a job I didn't want so much as needed.  Good times.

Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine belong in Cooperstown.  Should Maddux go in this year as expected, he would be only the second pitcher to have amassed over three thousand strike outs and less than one thousand walks.  Get ready, Karen:  Who was the first, and why is that at all significant?

Lone Target debuted the other night.  It's the flipside to Manhunter.  Let's see if it's as good.

I appreciate that Marky Mark is making Lone Survivor into a movie, and I'm even happier that he's standing tall by the military and calling out fops like Tommy Cruise for their inane statements.  But how about some verisimilitude, Mark?  Marcus Luttrell, the author of the book on which the eponymous movie is based, stands 6'5"; Mr. Wahlberg is 5'8".  Heck, Mr. Wahlberg's wife is even taller than he is.

I know how to cook brussels sprouts.

Given the choice between very hot weather and very cold weather, I'll take the latter more often than the former.  On a similar note, I miss shoveling.

A couple of weeks ago, at his request I brought my new pistol to a new friend who owns a jewelry store. When we made it to the back room, it hit me:  A year ago, if anyone had told me that I'd walk into a jewelry store with a firearm, I'd have told him he was crazy.

This book on Charles Schulz is pretty interesting.  I'm going to review it when I'm done with it.

I need more music for my Ipod.  Doing these goofy surveys should help in that matter.

Fostering a dog that barks like she has smoker's cough is too funny.  Funnier still is that she wants to play with one that wants nothing to do with her, while she doesn't want anything to do with the one that wants to play with her.

I'm still laughing about Brian Boitano's announcement that he's gay.

So there's this illegal immigrant in California who's been permitted to get a law license because of some new state law allowing it, and the Obama administration does nothing.  Meanwhile, nuns who oppose providing birth control under Obamacare are being fought by the administration.  So illegal immigration trumps religious freedom.  I wonder which group is going to cast more votes for the Democrats.

Just because Mr. Snowden shined a light on an abuse by the NSA doesn't mean he's not a traitor.  If he really wanted to claim whistleblower status, he could have gone to a US publication instead of running to our enemies.  He may have compromised more secrets than he's leaked simply by being in close proximity to the KGB.

Progeria is a nasty, nasty condition.

I have no heat in this office.  What heat I get I have to siphon from the floor below me.  Despite the fact that it's nearly -14 degrees outside, I have to put the fan on in here because it's so warm.

Stairs are beginning to become a problem.  Not going up them so much as going down them.

I prefer white or even yellow snow to grey snow.

I don't miss Scandal one bit.

More snow is expected on Sunday, perhaps seven inches of it.  Wind chills are supposed to be as low as -30.  I need to dig out my Elmer Fudd hat.  Karen may be mortified, but I'll be warm.

Next week the rest of the country can see Lone Survivor.  I'm not one to be the first in line for much, but I will be there early next Saturday to catch this.

I always brace myself at the beginning of the new year to see if I or someone else writes the former year.  I won this year.  I got an email with 2013 in it.

I hope everyone had a safe and Happy New Year's.

(c) 2014 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles




No comments:

Post a Comment