Thursday, August 1, 2013

Conservative celebrities

I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not wild about celebrities who get out there and tell us how to vote.  Most of the time, these celebrities espouse liberal causes and candidates, and I lean more conservatively, although I'm no Republican.  Just to refresh the general recollection, I'm not affiliated with any party.  I can think for myself and understand what is being said and written just fine without the assistance of some person whose claim to fame is singing, dancing or acting.

That being said, it's a tad unfair that I've lambasted, largely, the liberal sect for its use of celebrities as pitchmen.   Make no mistake:  I'm vastly unimpressed by either the tone of the liberal celebrities utterances or the lack of substance to them.  I find there to be very few liberal celebrities who are both unabrasive and thoughtful.

But the few celebrities willing to out themselves for conservative causes leave me wanting, also. Perhaps the best known conservative celebrity is Arnold Schwarzenegger.  Besides marrying a Kennedy, then cheating on her and fathering a child whose existence he hid, he made Kindergarten Cop and other laughably bad movies. Sure, I like True Lies and Total Recall, but that's not enough to make me want to vote for someone.

Adam Sandler, much to my surprise, is a conservative, supporting Rudy Guiliani.  I think Mr. Sandler is a likeable enough person, but his movies, or at least most of them, stink.  Perhaps he's maturing, because I think he's a talented guy, but his humor is too lowbrow for me most of the time.

Victoria Jackson, the old Saturday Night Live cast member, is apparently a lunatic conservative.  I don't follow her at all and only hear about her when she's ranted something insane.

Heidi Montag is another registered conservative.  I don't know much about her other than she has had umpteen plastic surgeries and married some doofus named Spencer Pratt.  That only makes me question her judgment and helps me steer clear of her.

Chuck Norris is another big conservative.  He's not loud or obnoxious, but I never cared for his movies.

Lee Greenwood is conservative.  I never cared for his music.

Nick Lachey is a conservative.  He was married to Jessica Simpson and was in a boy band group. He may be a nice guy, but his judgment is questionable.

Billy Ray Cyrus is a conservative?  He wears a mullet for heaven's sake.

Mel Gibson?  Need I say more?

Just like with liberal celebrities, there are some conservative celebrities whose opinions I could value.  The problem is that celebrities, no matter what their political stripe, seem to think they know better than the hoi polloi what's best for the country.  And we already know that that great philosopher Charles Barkley explained the value of opinions in succinct terms, so I don't think I need to place any greater value on a celebrity's opinion simply because he or she is a celebrity.

I can think for myself. That doesn't mean that I'm necessarily going to be right, but I have at least as good a chance of figuring it out for myself as I would having a celebrity guide me.  What celebrities have that I lack -- in political terms -- is access.  Because of their names and visibility, they can talk with the candidates much more easily than I can.  All that means is that they get fed directly what the stated platform is.  They are no better informed, no wiser, than you or I.

Besides, who knew that Chaka Khan was a conservative?

(c) 2013 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles


No comments:

Post a Comment