Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Super Bowl madness

It's been awhile, hasn't it? Life has a habit of getting in the way.

I'm glad I missed the Super Bowl. For as much of a hardcore sports' fan that I am, the Super Bowl does nothing for me. It is the most overhyped, underwhelming spectacle on the American sports' calendar. Globally, only the World Cup comes close.

For two weeks prior to the game, we're treated to endless analyses of players, coaches, plays, tendencies, uniforms, halftime show participants, venues, match-ups, food statistics and anything conceivably connected to the game. Then, the day of the game there's a five hour pregame show that basically sums up the past two weeks' worth of tripe. The Normandy invasion preparations should have been this lavish.

I prefer the men's NCAA basketball tournament. It's far more compelling and infinitely more enjoyable.

(c) 2012 The Truxton Spangler Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment